Philharmonic Music Club | The Canadian Encyclopedia

article

Philharmonic Music Club

Philharmonic Music Club. Vancouver concert organization formed in 1922 on the initiative of Mrs W.E. Green who became its first president. It was established, with the support of music teachers, to promote the work of local performers, especially those just starting professional careers.

Philharmonic Music Club

Philharmonic Music Club. Vancouver concert organization formed in 1922 on the initiative of Mrs W.E. Green who became its first president. It was established, with the support of music teachers, to promote the work of local performers, especially those just starting professional careers. It presented concerts by musicians new to the city, supported philanthropic performances (eg, at the Veterans' Hospital), and offered scholarships to young performers.

Normally the club sponsored six concerts each year. The first was held in Glencoe Lodge; later ones were presented in other halls including the playhouse adjoining the Queen Elizabeth Theatre and the Vancouver Art Gallery. Among the artists presented were Milla Andrew, Marion Barnum, Donald Bell, Clifford Evens, Audrey Farnell, Audrey Johannesen, Joseph Pach, Betty Phillips, Arthur Polson, Patricia and Thomas Rolston, and Malcolm Tait. The club presented also the Vancouver Junior Symphony, the Salieri Ensemble, and other groups.

When the club disbanded in 1966, its papers were deposited in the Vancouver City Archives.

Challenge yourself - take the CC Quiz!

The Canadian Encyclopedia is a project of Historica Canada, a non-profit, nonpartisan organization devoted to teaching Canadians more about our shared country.  We also produce the Heritage Minutes and other programs. If you believe all Canadians should have access to free, impartial, fact-checked, regularly updated information about Canada’s history and culture in both official languages, please consider donating today. All donations above $3 will receive a tax receipt.

Book a Speaker