Iqaluit: Future Capital
Adapting. It's a buzzword among the Inuit, and for good reason.
Signing up enhances your TCE experience with the ability to save items to your personal reading list, and access the interactive map.Create Account
Adapting. It's a buzzword among the Inuit, and for good reason.
Castlegar, BC, incorporated as a city in 1974, population 7816 (2011c), 7259 (2006c). The City of Castlegar is located on the west bank of the COLUMBIA RIVER at its junction with the Kootenay River, midway between Calgary and Vancouver, and about 35 km north of the US border.
St. Catharines, ON, incorporated as a city in 1876, population 133,113 (2016 c), 131,400 (2011 c). The City of St. Catharines is the principal city of the Niagara Region. It lies south of Toronto across Lake Ontario (111 km by the Queen Elizabeth Way), 19 km inland from the international boundary with the United States, along the Niagara River. The city is named after Catharine Hamilton, wife of Robert Hamilton, an influential merchant of Queenston and a landowner with mills on Twelve Mile Creek; the growing community, then known as The Twelve or Shipman's Corners, was renamed in her honour after her death in 1796. After 1876, as the urban area of St. Catharines expanded, it was permitted to annex parts of the surrounding Grantham Township, culminating in 1961 in the complete amalgamation of the township as well as the adjacent towns of Merritton and Port Dalhousie. In 1970, the rural township of Louth to the west was split between St. Catharines and the new town of Lincoln.
Sainte-Catherine was the original site of the Jesuit Iroquois mission founded in 1676 and later moved to Caughnawaga (now Kahnawake). The name Sainte-Catherine was quite probably chosen in honour of Kateri (Catherine) TEKAKWITHA. Her empty tomb is located across from the Roman Catholic church.
Chambly, Qué, City, pop 22 608 (2006c), 20 342 (2001c), inc 1965. Chambly is situated within the South Shore suburb area 25 km southeast of MONTRÉAL and is the centre of the rural Montérégie Region. The community fans out around Bassin de Chambly, a widening in the RIVIÈRE RICHELIEU.
Charlottetown, PEI, incorporated as a city in 1855, population 36,094 (2016 c), 34,562 (2011 c). The capital of Prince Edward Island, the City of Charlottetown is also the administrative centre of Queens County and the principal municipality of Canada's smallest province. It is situated on a broad harbour opening into the Northumberland Strait. Three rivers converge there, with the city located on a low-rising point of land between the Hillsborough (East) and North (Yorke) rivers just opposite the harbour's mouth. Suburban development has spread across the Hillsborough to Stratford, and between the North and West (Eliot) rivers at Cornwall. Besides its governmental functions, Charlottetown services a considerable agricultural hinterland and is the focus of Island communications. Its favourable climate, nearby beaches and claim to be the “Birthplace of Confederation” have made it a major tourist centre.
Charny's development is linked to the railway. Near the end of the 19th century, the Grand Trunk Railway and the Intercolonial Railway set up west of l'Hêtrière, a parcel of the seigneury de Lauzon. This area was referred to as Chaudière Junction, or West Junction.
Chicoutimi was an important staging point on the route that 17th-century Indigenous hunters took to sell their furs in Tadoussac, and in 1676 New France authorities built a trading post here.
The name is a throwback to the seigneury of Châteauguay granted to Charles LE MOYNE in 1673. The seigneury was first known as "chasteau de Guay," a combination of Le Moyne's fortified manor or chasteau (château), and the name Gué or Guay, of the caretaker. It eventually became today's Châteauguay.
Québec City, Québec, founded in 1608, population 531,902 (2016 c), 516,576 (2011 c). Québec City, the capital of the province of Québec, is located on the north shore of the St. Lawrence River where it meets the Rivière Saint-Charles. Here, the St. Lawrence narrows to a width of just over 1 km, and navigation is made difficult by a group of islands, the largest of which is Île d'Orléans. Cap-Diamant, a promontory with an elevation of 98 m, dominates the site and was used effectively as a fortification, earning Québec City the name "Gibraltar of North America." The name "Québec" is probably derived from an Algonquian word meaning "narrowing of the river."
In Canada "city" is a broad, generic term usually referring to an urbanized area.
Pointe-Claire was first set up as a village municipality under the name of Saint-Joachim-de-la-Pointe-Claire in 1854. Its name was shortened when it was incorporated.
Clarence-Rockland, Ont, incorporated as a city in 1998, population 23 185 (2011c), 20 790 (2006c). The City of Clarence-Rockland is located on the OTTAWA RIVER 35 km east of OTTAWA.
Industries associated with the canal have included the servicing of vessels, flour milling, repair and breakup of vessels, lake fishing and limestone quarrying. The city also has an important nickel refinery. The surrounding industrial areas occupy land reclaimed from the lake bed.
Cold Lake, Alta, incorporated as a city in 2000, population 13 839 (2011c), 11 991 (2006c). The City of Cold Lake is located on a lake of the same name, 290 km northeast of Edmonton. The Cree called the lake "Kinosoo" or "big fish" after a Cree legend.
Colwood, BC, incorporated as a city in 1985, population 16 093 (2011c), 14 687 (2006c). The City of Colwood is part of Greater Victoria and located ten kilometres west of downtown VICTORIA. Colwood takes its name from the farm run by Captain Edward E.
The early settlement of Saint-Constant dates back to the mid-18th century, even though the parish of Saint-Constant-de-la-Prairie-de-la-Magdeleine was only officially created in 1841.
Coquitlam, BC, incorporated as a city in 1992, population 126 456 (2011c), 114 565 (2006c). The City of Coquitlam is located on the north bank of the FRASER RIVER between BURNABY and NEW WESTMINSTER to the west and PORT COQUITLAM and PITT MEADOWS to the east.
Port Coquitlam, BC, incorporated as a city in 1913, population 56 342 (2011c), 52 687 (2006c). The City of Port Coquitlam is located on the Pitt and Fraser rivers, 27 km east of VANCOUVER, of which it is a satellite. It is bounded on the north and west by the City of COQUITLAM.
Cornwall, ON, incorporated as a city in 1945, population 46,340 (2011c), 45,965 (2006c).