Browse "Cities"

Article

Montréal-Est

Montréal-Est owes its existence to Joseph Versailles, an important Montréal broker. In 1909 he bought 6 km2 of land in order to create a quiet and peaceful residential community. Heavy industry developed around the port and the community evolved away from Versailles's original vision.

Article

Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls, Ontario, incorporated as a city in 1904, population 88,071 (2016 c), 82,997 (2011 c). The City of Niagara Falls possesses a fame and name that are based on the stunning, world-famous Niagara Falls on the Niagara River. Growth has combined tourism and gambling with railhead developments at this Canadian–US border crossing. In the past the manufacturing industry (including electrochemicals and abrasives) dominated, fuelled by cheap and readily available hydroelectric power.

Article

Fernie

Fernie, BC, incorporated as a city in 1904, population 4448 (2011c), 4217 (2006c). The City of Fernie lies in the narrow valley of the Elk River, amidst peaks of the ROCKY MOUNTAINS forming part of the CONTINENTAL DIVIDE. It is 970 km E of Vancouver.

Article

Fleurimont

Fleurimont, Qué, city, pop 16 521 (2001c), 16 262 (1996c), 14 727 (1991c), area 35.47 km2, inc 1993, is situated in the Eastern Townships region, about 150 km east of Montréal.

Article

Flin Flon

Flin Flon, Manitoba, incorporated as a city in 1970, population 5363 in Manitoba, 229 in Saskatchewan (2011c); 5594 in Manitoba, 242 in Saskatchewan (2006c) Manitoba,; area 13.88 km2 in Manitoba, 2.37 km2 in Saskatchewan. The City of Flin Flon is situated along the Manitoba-Saskatchewan border, 743 km northwest of Winnipeg.

Article

Grand Forks

Grand Forks, BC, incorporated as a city in 1897, population 3985 (2011c), 4036 (2006c). The City of Grand Forks is at the junction of the Kettle and Granby rivers, 124 km east of Osoyoos and 140 km west of Nelson.

Article

Fort St John

Fort St John, BC, incorporated as a city in 1975, population 18 609 (2011c), 17 402 (2006c). The City of Fort St John is located in northeastern British Columbia, about 459 km north of PRINCE GEORGE.

Article

Fort Saskatchewan

Fort Saskatchewan, Alta, incorporated as a city in 1985, population 19 051 (2011c), 14 957 (2006c). The City of Fort Saskatchewan is located adjacent to northeast EDMONTON on the prairie parklands along to the North SASKATCHEWAN RIVER.

Article

Fredericton

Fredericton, NB, incorporated as a city in 1848, population 58,220 (2016 c), 56,224 (2011 c). The city of Fredericton is the provincial capital and is located in central New Brunswick, just below the head of tide on the Saint John River, 135 km inland from the Bay of Fundy.

Article

Saint-Félicien

The town profited from the Chibougamau-Chapais mining boom of the 1950s, since nearly all the copper extracted from Chibougamau and Chapais (280 km northwest of Lac Saint-Jean) left the region via Saint-Félicien.

Article

Le Gardeur

First set up as the parish municipality of Saint-Paul-l'Ermite in 1857, it was incorporated as a city under the same name in 1973 before changing its designation to Le Gardeur in 1978.

Article

Gaspé

It is one of the oldest settlements in North America: on 24 July 1534, Jacques Cartier took possession of Canada on behalf of the king of France and placed a cross at this location, which very soon became a fishing port and supply centre for New France.

Article

Gatineau

   Gatineau, Québec, city, pop 102 898 (2001c), 100 684 A (1996c), 92 284 (1991c), 77 708 (1986Ac), area 146.78 km2, inc 1975, is located at the junction of the Gatineau River and OTTAWA RIVER, adjoining HULL.

Article

Prince George

Prince George, BC, incorporated as a city in 1915, population 71 974 (2011c), 70 981 (2006c). The City of Prince George is the largest population centre in the northern part of the province.

Article

Saint-Georges

The first colonists came during the French regime to settle on seigneuries ceded to Thérèse Aubert de Lalande Gayon (Aubert-Gallion) and Gabriel Aubin de L'Isle (Aubin-de-l'Isle).

Article

Granby

Situated 84 km southeast of Montréal and about 48 km from the US border, Granby remained a modest agricultural centre until the 1940s.

Article

Grand-Mère

The first French missionary contact with the indigenous people, the MONTAGNAIS, took place in 1651, but the region remained virtually unsettled for nearly 200 years.

Article

Grande Prairie

Grande Prairie, AB, incorporated as a city in 1958, population 63,166 (2016 census), 55,655 (2011 census). The city of Grande Prairie is located 456 km northwest of Edmonton and takes its name from the large prairie that lies to the east, north and west of it. The city is the business and transportation centre of Alberta’s Peace River region.

Article

Greenfield Park

The site of Greenfield Park was part of the Seigneury of Longueuil. The area remained primarily agricultural until the mid-19th century, when railway development began to encourage the growth of the towns and villages around the city of MONTRÉAL.

Article

Greenwood

Greenwood, BC, incorporated as a city in 1897, population 708 (2011c), 625 (2006c). The City of Greenwood is located 27 km west of GRAND FORKS on Highway 3. It grew as a result of the mining boom in the Boundary District in the 1890s and nearly died when the boom ended.