Browse "Cities"

Article

Kimberley

Kimberley, BC, incorporated as a city in 1944, population 6652 (2011c), 6139 (2006c). The City of Kimberley is located in a valley between the Rocky Mountains to the east and the Purcell Mountains to the west, 31 km northwest of Cranbrook.

Article

Kingston

Kingston, Ontario, incorporated as a city 1846, population 123,798 (2016 c), 123,363 (2011 c). Kingston was first settled in 1783, incorporated as a town in 1838 and as a city in 1846. It is located approximately 175 km southwest of Ottawa, 290 km west of Montreal and 260 km east of Toronto. The former capital of the Province of Canada (1841), Kingston’s position at the junction of the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River, its proximity to the border with the United States and the dominance of the Canadian Shield in its surrounding area, have been crucial to its settlement, political and economic history.

Article

Kitchener-Waterloo

The twin cities of Kitchener-Waterloo are located in central southwestern Ontario, 105 km southwest of Toronto. Each retains its own political culture within a common historical framework and with similar, but by no means identical, socio-economic developments. Kitchener (originally named Berlin), the larger of the two, was the county seat (1853), judicial and financial centre of Waterloo County from 1853 to 1973. It continues to have a predominant influence in the Regional Municipality of Waterloo, which was formed in 1973 by combining several communities and cities, including Kitchener, Waterloo and Cambridge.

Article

Kitsilano

Kitsilano, a 549 ha waterfront section of VANCOUVER, incorporated into that city in 1886. It stretches south from English Bay to 16th Avenue and east from Alma to Burrard street.

Article

L'Ancienne-Lorette

The history of L'Ancienne-Lorette goes back to 1674, when the Jesuit Pierre Chaumonot (1611-93) built a chapel on this site for the HURONS who had been forced to flee their homeland (Ontario) by the Iroquois.

Article

La Prairie

In 1836 the first Canadian railway, linking La Prairie with Saint-Jean, was inaugurated. After construction of the Victoria Bridge, goods trains coming from the east were diverted from the town.

Article

La Pocatière

In 1672, François Pollet de La Combe-Pocatière received the seigneurie de la Grande-Anse as a gift from his father-in-law, Nicholas Juchereau de Saint-Denys. This territory became the parish of Ste-Anne-de-La-Pocatière, and later, the city of La Pocatière.

Article

Portage la Prairie

Portage la Prairie, MB, incorporated as a city in 1907, population 13,304 (2016 census), 12,996 (2011 census). The city of Portage la Prairie, located 70 km west of Winnipeg, is an important regional service centre for the flat but highly fertile soils of the surrounding Portage Plains. 

Article

Lachenaie

The old agricultural settlement dates back to 1672 when the first colonists arrived. Its history is steeped in the FUR TRADE. La Chesnaye was involved in the fur trade as were Jacob Jordan (1741-96) and Nor'wester Peter Pangman (1744-1819), 2 of the last seigneurs in the late 18th century.

Article

Lachine

The development of the Lachine Canal in the 1820s, the establishment of the Montreal and Lachine Railroad in 1847, and the expansion of the trucking business in the 20th century gave Lachine a major role in the trade network extending to southwestern Canada and the US.

Article

Williams Lake

Williams Lake, BC, incorporated as a city in 1929, population 10 832 (2011c), 10 744 (2006c). The City of Williams Lake is located in the Cariboo country of central British Columbia, 545 km northeast of Vancouver.

Article

Saint-Lambert

Saint-Lambert, Qué, City, pop 21 599 (2006c), 21 051 (2001c), first incorporated in 1921 and reincorporated in 2006. Saint-Lambert was amalgamated into the city of Longueuil from 2002-2006 when it then regained municipal status. It is located along the South Shore of the St Lawrence River across from Montréal, and is connected to that city by the Victoria bridge (completed 1859).

Article

LaSalle

History In 1667, René-Robert Cavelier de la Salle became seigneur of the land of present-day LaSalle. In order to avoid the Lachine Rapids, traders, explorers and Indigenous people portaged along a path that would become LaSalle Boulevard.

Article

Laterrière

The name was first applied to the township (1850) and then the parish (1882). They were named after Marc-Pascal de Sales Laterrière, who represented Saguenay in the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Canada.

Article

Laval

Île Jésus, first granted to the JESUITS in 1636, recalls the role played by those missionaries in the history of NEW FRANCE.

Article

Lethbridge

Lethbridge, AB, incorporated as a city in 1906, population 92,729 (2016 census), 83,517 (2011 census). The City of Lethbridge is located 215 km southeast of Calgary. It overlooks the steep valley of the Oldman River.

Article

London

  London, Ont, incorporated as a city in 1855, population 366 151 (2011c), 352 395 (2006c). The City of London, the seat of Middlesex County, is centrally located in the southwest peninsula of the province, on the Québec-Windsor corridor midway between Toronto (185 km) and Windsor (190 km).

Article

Longueuil

In 1657, Charles LE MOYNE de Longueuil et de Châteauguay, a merchant of Ville-Marie (Montréal), was given an area of land situated along the St Lawrence River. He named it Longueuil, in honour of his mother's village in France.