Browse "Cities"

Article

Saint-Luc

Saint-Luc was named by association with the neighbouring parishes of St-Martin and St-Marc. In 1963 it incorporated as the city of Saint-Luc with a population of 3218. Eel fishing was one of the mainstays of the economy. This industry remains part of present-day Saint-Luc.

Article

Lévis

Lévis' economy is based on its commercial and service sectors but its industrial sector is also significant. Other manufactured goods include food, beverages, and plastic and metal products.

Article

Mascouche

The history of Mascouche was closely linked to the roles played by Gabriel Christie and Peter and his son John Pangman, 3 of the last owners of the Seigneury de La Chesnaye.

Article

Pitt Meadows

Pitt Meadows, BC, incorporated as a city in 2007, population 17 736 (2011c), 15 623 (2006c). The City of Pitt Meadows is an agricultural community located in the lower Fraser Valley east of VANCOUVER on the north side of the FRASER RIVER at its junction with the Pitt River.

Article

Melfort

The rail line, which arrived in 1909, made Melfort a trade and cultural centre for the surrounding area. It was incorporated as a village in 1903, as a town in 1907 and a city in 1980.

Article

Melville

The community's growth beyond that of others in the area came as a result of its designation as a divisional point by the railway. The importance of the railway has since been balanced somewhat by the city's role as a service centre for the poultry, livestock and grain farmers in the area.

Article

Merritt

Merritt, BC, incorporated as a city in 1981, population 7113 (2011c), 6998 (2006c). The City of Merritt is located in the Nicola Valley of south-central British Columbia, at the junction of the Coldwater and Nicola rivers, 88 km southof Kamloops on the COQUIHALLA HIGHWAY.

Article

Thetford Mines

In 1876 Joseph Fecteau scraped some fibres from a greenish rock with his fingernail; without realizing it, he had discovered ASBESTOS. In 1877 Roger Ward claimed the first mining rights and the Johnson brothers began production the following year.

Article

Miramichi

Miramichi, NB, incorporated as a city in 1995, population 17 811 (2011c), 18 129 (2006c). The City of Miramichi is located in northeastern New Brunswick at the mouth of the MIRAMICHI RIVER, one of Canada's most famous salmon rivers.

Article

Mississauga

Mississauga, Ont, incorporated as a city in 1974, population 713 443 (2011c), 668 599 (2006c). The City of Mississauga is located west of TORONTO on Lake ONTARIO.

Article

Moncton

Moncton, NB, incorporated as a city in 1890, population 71,889 (2016 census),69,074 (2011 census), is the largest city in New Brunswick. The City of Moncton is located in eastern New Brunswick on a bend of the Petitcodiac River. With a population of 144,810 (2016) the Greater Moncton region includes the steadily growing city of Dieppe and the town of Riverview.

Article

Montmagny

Jacques CARTIER passed Montmagny and its many offshore islands in 1535 and noted its beautiful surroundings. In 1646 a seigneury containing the area was granted to Huault, although permanent European habitation did not begin until the 1670s.

Article

Montreal

Montreal, Quebec, incorporated as a city in 1832, population 1,704,694 (2016 c), 1,649,519 (2011 c). Montreal is Canada’s second largest city and is home to nearly half of the province of Quebec’s population. It is the metropolis of the province and was the most populous city in Canada for a century and a half. It is located in southwestern Quebec on Île de Montreal at the confluence of the St. Lawrence and Ottawa rivers. Montreal is a major industrial centre, commercial and financial metropolis, railway and maritime bridgehead, and one of the centres of francophone culture in North America. It is one of the world's great cities and enjoys international acclaim.

Article

Port Moody

Port Moody, BC, incorporated as a city in 1913, population 32 975 (2011c), 27 512 (2006c). The City of Port Moody lies at the head of Burrard Inlet, 20 km east of Vancouver. Port Moody's foreshore contains abundant evidence of pre-European occupation by the CENTRAL COAST SALISH peoples.

Article

Mount Pearl

Mount Pearl, NL, incorporated as a city in 1988, population 24 284 (2011c), 24 671 (2006c). The City of Mount Pearl, the province's second-largest city, is situated just southwest of St John's.

Article

Nanaimo

Nanaimo, BC, incorporated as a city in 1874, population 83 810 (2011c), 78 692 (2006c).

Article

Nelson

Nelson, BC, incorporated as a city in 1897, population 10 230 (2011c), 9258 (2006c). The City of Nelson, named after Hugh Nelson, lieutenant-governor of BC, overlooks the west arm of KOOTENAY LAKE. The prehistoric boundary of the INTERIOR SALISH and the KOOTENAY is nearby.

Article

New Westminster

New Westminster, BC, incorporated as a city in 1860, population 65 976 (2011c), 58 549 (2006c). The City of New Westminster is located on the north bank of the FRASER RIVER, 20 km east of Vancouver.

Article

Saint-Nicolas

The old parish of Saint-Nicolas, settled in the last quarter of the 17th century and founded in 1694, takes its name from an old Normandy parish, Saint-Nicolas-de-la-Ferté. Saint-Nicolas, which had a population of 700 at the end of the 18th century, was set up as a parish municipality in 1855.

Article

Rouyn-Noranda

For many years, Noranda was completely controlled and administered by Noranda Mines, formed in 1922 to exploit one of the richest copper and gold deposits ever found in Canada. The name "Noranda" is a combination of the words "North" and "Canada.