Browse "Villages"

Displaying 41-60 of 141 results
Article

Déline

Déline, NWT, incorporated as a charter community in 1993, population 472 (2011c), 525 (2006c). The Charter Community of Déline is located on the shores of GREAT BEAR LAKE, 544 air km northwest of Yellowknife.

Article

Destruction Bay

Destruction Bay, Yukon, Settlement, population 35 (2011c), 55 (2006c). Destruction Bay is located on the west side of Kluane Lake between HAINES JUNCTION and BURWASH LANDING at Mile 1083 on the Alaska Highway.

Article

Devon

Devon, Alta, incorporated as a village in 1949 and as a town in 1950, population 6510 (2011c), 6256 (2006c). The Town of Devon is located about 30 km southwest of Edmonton, high on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River.

Article

Dominion (NS)

Dominion, NS, Unincorporated Place. Dominion is located 6 km northwest of GLACE BAY on the south side of Lingan Basin on Cape Breton Island.

Article

Eckville

Eckville, Alta, incorporated as a village in 1921 and as a town in 1966, population 1125 (2011c), 951 (2006c).

Article

Edenwold

Edenwold, Sask, incorporated as a village in 1912, population 238 (2011c), 242 (2006c). The Village of Edenwold is located 44 km northeast of REGINA. The name was originally Edenwald after the Garden of Eden and wald, meaning forest in German.

Article

Edson

Edson, Alta, incorporated as a village then as a town in 1911, population 8475 (2011c), 8098 (2006c). The Town of Edson is the distribution centre for a mining, timber and oil area 200 km due west of Edmonton. Named for Edson J.

Article

Elbow

The first settlers appear to have been ranchers. By 1903 settlers were taking up homesteads near Elbow, and by the end of the decade lands in the elbow were extensively occupied. The CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY, which arrived in 1908, has accounted for the continued existence of the village.

Article

Elora

Elora, Ont, Unincorporated Place. Elora is a picturesque community located about 25 km northeast of Guelph at the junction of the Grand and Irvine rivers.

Article

Elsa

In 1946 Keno Mining Co Ltd (later United Keno Hills Mines Ltd) reopened the mine. The community received a post office in 1949 and the 1950s was the starting point for the first oil exploration winter road to drilling sites 500 km to the north.

Article

Esterhazy

Esterhazy, Sask, incorporated as a village in 1903 and as a town in 1957, population 2472 (2011c), 2336 (2006c). The Town of Esterhazy is located in east-central Saskatchewan, 83 km southeast of YORKTON. It is named after Count

Article

Falher

Falher, Alta, incorporated as a village in 1923 and as a town in 1955, population 1075 (2011c), 941 (2006c). The Town of Falher is located 45 km south of PEACE RIVER.

Article

Fort Assiniboine

Fort Assiniboine, Alta, Unincorporated Place. Fort Assiniboine is located at the confluence of the Freeman and Athabasca rivers, 150 km northwest of Edmonton. There may have been earlier posts in the area, but the first documented FUR TRADE site was Fort Assiniboine, established in 1823-24.

Article

Fort Chipewyan

Fort Chipewyan, Alta, Unincorporated Place, population 847 (2011c), 756(2006c). The community of Fort Chipewyan was established for the NORTH WEST CO in 1788 by Roderick Mackenzie, cousin of Alexander MACKENZIE.

Article

Fort Liard

Fort Liard, NWT, incorporated as a hamlet in 1987, population 536 (2011c), 583 (2006c). The Hamlet of Fort Liard is located on the south bank of the Liard River, 544 km by air southwest of Yellowknife and about 25 km north of the BC border.

Article

Fort McPherson

Fort McPherson, NWT, incorporated as a hamlet in 1986, population 792 (2011c), 776 (2006c). The Hamlet of Fort McPherson is located on the east bank of the Peel River, 210 km south of Inuvik on the DEMPSTER HIGHWAY. Named for a

Article

Fort Providence

Fort Providence, NWT, incorporated as a hamlet in 1987, population 734 (2011c), 727 (2006c). The Hamlet of Fort Providence is located on the northeast bank of the MACKENZIE RIVER, 233 km southwest of YELLOWKNIFE.

Article

Fort Resolution

Fort Resolution, NWT, incorporated as a hamlet in 2010, population 474 (2011c), 484 (2006c). The Hamlet of Fort Resolution is located on the south shore of GREAT SLAVE LAKE, 153 air km south of Yellowknife.

Article

Fort Simpson

Fort Simpson, NWT, incorporated as a village in 1973, population 1238 (2011c), 1216 (2006c). The Hamlet of Fort Simpson is located on an island at the confluence of the MACKENZIE and LIARD rivers, 378 air km southwest of Yellowknife.