Browse "Villages"

Displaying 61-80 of 141 results
Article

Fort St James

Fort St James, BC, incorporated as a village in 1952 and as a district municipality in 1995, population 1691 (2011c), 1350 (2006c). The District of Fort St James is located in central British Columbia on the southeast shore of Stuart Lake, 50 km north of VANDERHOOF.

Article

Fort Steele

From 1892 to the present, mining (gold, lead, zinc and silver) has been an important part of the economic development of the immediate region. The construction of the BC Southern Railway to Cranbrook in 1898 sealed the fate of Fort Steele, which quickly faded.

Article

Fort Vermilion

Fort Vermilion, Alta, Unincorporated Place, population 727 (2011c), 714 (2006c). Fort Vermilion is located about 70 km east of HIGH LEVEL and is one of the communities of Mackenzie County. The name Fort Vermilion refers to the red ochre found in the area.

Article

Fruitvale

Fruitvale, BC, incorporated as a village in 1952, population 2016 (2011c), 1952 (2006c). The Village of Fruitvale is located in the southern interior of BC close to the US border, 11 km east of TRAIL, 645 km east of Vancouver.

Article

Gagetown

Gagetown, NB, incorporated as a village in 1966, population 698 (2011c), 719 (2006c). The Village of Gagetown is situated on Gagetown Creek, adjacent to the SAINT JOHN RIVER and opposite the mouth of the Jemseg River.

Article

Galt

In 1827 it was renamed Galt after John GALT, the Scottish novelist and colonizer who founded the CANADA CO. It was a centre of Scottish settlement in Upper Canada. The first macadamized road in Upper Canada linked it to Hamilton in 1837.

Article

Garson

Garson, Manitoba, unincorporated village, population 483 (2011c), 324 (2006c). Garson was incorporated as the Village of Lyall in 1915 and amalgamated into the Rural Municipality of Brokenhead in 2003. The community is located 37 km northeast of Winnipeg.

Article

Grandview

Grandview, Manitoba, incorporated as a village in 1906 and as a town in 1909, population 859 (2011c), 839 (2006c). The Town of Grandview nestles between Riding and Duck mountains on the Valley River, 360 km northwest of Winnipeg.

Article

Granisle

Granisle, BC, incorporated as a village in 1971, population 303 (2011c), 364 (2006c). The Village of Granisle is located in central British Columbia on the west shore of Babine Lake, the longest natural lake in the province (at 177 km).

Article

Grise Fiord

Grise Fiord, Nunavut, incorporated as a hamlet in 1987, population 130 (2011c), 141 (2006c). The Hamlet of Grise Fiord is located on the south coast of ELLESMERE ISLAND.

Article

Hall Beach

Hall Beach, Nunavut, incorporated as a hamlet in 1978, population 546 (2011c), 654 (2006c). The Hamlet of Hall Beach is located on the east shore of the MELVILLE PENINSULA.

Article

Hazelton

Hazelton, British Columbia, incorporated as a village in 1956, population 270 (2011c), 293 (2006c). The Village of Hazelton is situated at the confluence of the Skeena and Bulkley rivers. The townsite was laid out by Edgar DEWDNEY in 1871 next to the GITKSAN village of Gitanmaax.

Article

High Prairie

High Prairie, Alta, incorporated as a village in 1945 and as a town in 1950, population 2600 (2011c), 2785 (2006c). Located on the south edge of the Peace River region, the Town of High Prairie is 365 km northwest of Edmonton and 200 km northeast of Grande Prairie.

Article

Igloolik

Igloolik, Nunavut, incorporated as a hamlet in 1976, population 1454 (2011c), 1538 (2006c). The Hamlet of Igloolik is located on an island of the same name at the eastern entrance to FURY AND HECLA STRAIT, off the coast of the MELVILLE PENINSULA.

Article

Kamouraska (Qué)

In 1849 the first superior court outside Québec City was established here. Incorporated as a village in 1858, Kamouraska was an important tourist area in the 19th and early 20th centuries. People came to admire the countryside, breathe the salt air and bathe in the sea.

Article

Kangiqsualujjuaq

A Hudson's Bay Company's trading post operated intermittently in the area from 1838 to 1952. A sawmill near the trading post attracted a permanent population, and the establishment of an arctic CHAR fishing co-operative in 1959 cemented the community's existence.

Article

Kaslo

Kaslo, BC, incorporated as a village in 1959, population 1026 (2011c), 1072 (2006c). The Village of Kaslo is located 70 km north of Nelson, overlooking KOOTENAY LAKE. It was established in 1892 to service the silver-mining boom sweeping the Kootenays. The origin of the name is unclear.

Article

Kedgwick

Kedgwick, NB, incorporated as a village in 1966, population 993 (2011c), 1146 (2006c). The Village of Kedgwick is a francophone community located 74 km southwest of CAMPBELLTON.

Article

Keremeos

Keremeos, BC, incorporated as a village in 1956, population 1330 (2011c), 1289 (2006c). The Village of Keremeos is located in the fertile bench beside the Similkameen River, 45 km south of PENTICTON. Its name likely derives from a Salish phrase meaning "wind channel in the mountain.

Article

Killarney (Man)

Killarney, Manitoba, population centre, population 2197 (2011c), 2273 (2006c). Killarney was incorporated as a village in 1903, as a town in 1907 and merged with the Rural Municipality of Turtle Mountain to form the Municipality of Killarney-Turtle Mountain in 2007.