Browse "Villages"

Displaying 101-120 of 141 results
Article

Prud'homme

Prud'homme, Sask, incorporated as a village in 1922, population 172 (2011c), 167 (2006c). The Village of Prud'homme is located about 45 km northeast of SASKATOON.

Article

Pugwash

Pugwash, NS, incorporated as a village in 1948, population 744 (2011c), 784 (2006c). Pugwash is located 65 km northwest of TRURO, at the mouth of the Pugwash River.

Article

Rexton

Rexton, NB, incorporated as a village in 1966, population 818 (2011c), 862 (2006c). The Village of Rexton is located in southeastern New Brunswick, at the mouth of the Richibucto River.

Article

Saint-Isidore

Saint-Isidore, NB, incorporated as a village in 1991, population 748 (2011c), 796 (2006c). The Village of Saint-Isidore is located about 10 km inland on the northeastern tip of New Brunswick, 15 km east of TRACADIE-SHEILA.

Article

Salmo

Salmo, BC, incorporated as a village in 1946, population 1139 (2011c), 1007 (2006c). The Village of Salmo is located in the Selkirk Mountains on the Salmo River at its junction with Erie Creek, 24 km north of the United States border.

Article

Sandon

Silver was found in 1891 and a rush followed, with thousands of prospectors staking the silver-bearing slopes. By 1895 Sandon was a thriving town and the terminus of 2 railways.

Article

Sanikiluaq

Sanikiluaq, Nunavut, incorporated as a hamlet in 1976, population 812 (2011c), 744 (2006c).

Article

Sexsmith

Sexsmith, Alta, incorporated as a village in 1929 and as a town in 1979, population 2418 (2011c), 1969 (2006c). The Town of Sexsmith is 43 km north of GRANDE PRAIRIE on Highway 2. The district was first settled in 1911, with a post office called Sexsmith established in 1912.

Article

Sherbrooke Village

Sherbrooke Village in Sherbrooke, NS, is unusual in that it is not a collection of historic buildings moved into a reconstructed townsite, but rather the older portion of the actual village of Sherbrooke.

Article

Slocan

Slocan, BC, incorporated as a village in 1958, population 296 (2011c), 314 (2006c). The Village of Slocan is located 70 km by road northwest of NELSON, at the south end of Slocan Lake.

Article

Snag

Snag, Yukon Territory, was a community located at the mouth of Snag Creek, 465 km northwest of Whitehorse. The creek was so named in 1898 by members of the US Geological Survey, possibly because it was choked with dead trees.

Article

Spiritwood

The town is a service and administrative centre for the surrounding area. Grain growing and the raising of livestock are the main activities. The town lies in close proximity to a number of lakes and parks, with many recreational opportunities including fishing, snowmobiling, hunting and golfing.

Article

St Peter's

St Peter's, NS, incorporated as a village in, inc 1940. St Peter's is situated between St Peter's Inlet and St Peter's Bay on the south shore of Cape Breton Island.

Article

St Peters Bay

St Peters Bay, PEI, incorporated as a village in 1953 and as a community in 1983, population 253 (2011c), 248 (2006c). The Community of St Peters Bay, 53 km northeast of Charlottetown, is located at the head of a bay of the same

Article

St Pierre-Jolys

St-Pierre-Jolys, Manitoba, incorporated as a village in 1947, population 1099 (2011c), 839 (2006c). The Village of St-Pierre-Jolys is located 56 km southeast of WINNIPEG near the Rat River.

Article

St-Eustache

This village was the site of a fierce battle during the REBELLIONS OF 1837 as Chenier and the PATRIOTES barricaded themselves in the church, priest's house and convent. Nearly 100 Patriotes were killed and the British troops put the village to the torch.

Article

St. Jacobs

St. Jacobs, ON, established as a Police Village in 1904 and dissolved as such in 1972 under the Regional Municipality of Waterloo Act (1972), population 1,891 (2011c), 1,597 (2006c).

Article

St. Margarets Bay

St. Margarets Bay, 70 km2, is a small inlet of the Atlantic Ocean on the SE coast of Nova Scotia, 40 km W of HALIFAX. It is a favourite summer resort area, noted especially for its relatively warm surface water, sandy beaches and ideal sailing conditions for small craft.

Article

Stadacona

Stadacona, Iroquoian village located at the present site of Québec City, had an estimated population of about 500. Jacques Jacques Cartier was led to the village on his second voyage in 1535 and wintered at a safe distance, across the St-Charles River.

Article

Sylvan Lake

Sylvan Lake, Alta, incorporated as a village in 1913 and as a town in 1946, population 12 327 (2011c), 10 250 (2006c). The Town of Sylvan Lake is located on the south shore of the lake of the same name in central Alberta approximately 20 km west of RED DEER.