Browse "Villages"

Displaying 121-140 of 141 results
Article

Tadoussac

Tadoussac, Quebec, incorporated as a village in 1899, population 799 (2016 census), 813 (2011 census). Tadoussac is located at the confluence of the Saguenay and St. Lawrence rivers, 210 km northeast of Quebec City. In the Innu language, Totouskak means "breasts," a reference to the rounded hills found near the village.

Article

Tagish (Yukon)

The name Tagish apparently comes from "Ta-Gish-Ai", a word for "fish trap" and the name of the local First Nations band.

Article

Tahsis

Tahsis, BC, incorporated as a village in 1970, population 316 (2011c), 366 (2006c).

Article

Taloyoak

Taloyoak, Nunavut, incorporated as a hamlet in 1981, population 899 (2011c), 809 (2006c). The Hamlet of Taloyoak, formerly known as Spence Bay, is located in a narrow inlet on the west side of the BOOTHIA PENINSULA.

Article

Teslin

First settled by the Tlingit, the first whites to see the lake arrived in the 1870s and its tributaries were prospected in the following decade.

Article

Tignish

Today, Tignish is 93% Roman Catholic and more than 20% of the population can speak both French and English. The co-operative movement has been one of the community's most distinctive features.

Article

Tsiigehtchic

Tsiigehtchic, NWT, incorporated as a charter community in 1993, population 143 (2011c), 175 (2006c). The Charter Community of Tsiigehtchic is situated at the confluence of the Arctic Red and MACKENZIE rivers in the northwestern part of the NWT.

Article

Tuktoyaktuk

Tuktoyaktuk, NWT, incorporated as a hamlet in 1970, population 898 (2016 census), 854 (2011 census). The Hamlet of Tuktoyaktuk is located on the coast of the Beaufort Sea, east of the Mackenzie River delta, and 1,135 km northwest of Yellowknife by air. Tuktoyaktuk, commonly referred to as Tuk, is a transportation and government centre, as well as a base for oil and natural gas exploration.

Article

Tulita

Tulita, NWT, incorporated as a hamlet in 1984, population 478 (2011c), 505 (2006c).

Article

Ulukhaktok

Ulukhaktok, NWT, incorporated as a hamlet in 1984, population 402 (2011c), 398 (2006c). The Hamlet of Ulukhaktok is located on the west coast of Victoria Island, on inlets of Amundsen Gulf, 925 air km north of Yellowknife.

Article

Valleyview

Valleyview, Alta, incorporated as a village in 1954 and as a town in 1957, population 1761 (2011c), 1725 (2006c). The Town of Valleyview is located 105 km east of GRANDE PRAIRIE. The first homesteaders took up land in the area in the late 1910s and the district was called Red Willow.

Article

Walhachin

Walhachin The turn of the century in British Columbia was a time of economic prosperity. The optimism associated with this prosperity enabled land speculators to attract upper-class Englishmen to purchase land and settle at Walhachin.

Article

Watrous

NORWEGIAN settlers arrived in the area at the beginning of the 20th century. The community that sprang up to service the area was originally called Mandel after their hometown in Norway.

Article

Wembley

Wembley, Alta, incorporated as a village in 1928 and as a town in 1980, population 1383 (2011c), 1443 (2006c). The Town of Wembley is 23 km west of GRANDE PRAIRIE on Highway 43.

Article

Westport

Westport, NS, incorporated as a village in 1946, population 234 (2011c), 249 (2006c). The Village of Westport is located at the southern tip of Digby Neck, on the eastern side of Brier Island.

Article

Whale Cove

Whale Cove, Nunavut, incorporated as a hamlet in 1976, population 407 (2011c), 353 (2006c). The Hamlet of Whale Cove is located on the west coast of HUDSON BAY about 80 km south of RANKIN INLET.

Article

Wilcox

Wilcox, Sask, incorporated as a village in 1907, population 339 (2011c), 222 (2006c). The Village of Wilcox is located 42 km south of REGINA and situated midway between MOOSE JAW and WEYBURN on the Soo Line Railway.