Browse "Places"

Displaying 2061-2080 of 2213 results
Article

Ungava Peninsula

The Ungava Peninsula is a large peninsula approximately 350 000 km2 in area and washed by the waters of Hudson Bay, Hudson Strait and Ungava Bay.

Article

Union Station

Union Station, Toronto, was designed by architects Ross and Macdonald, Hugh G. Jones and John M. Lyle for the Grand Trunk Railway of Canada and Canadian Pacific Railway.

Article

Unity

Unity, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1919, population 2389 (2011c), 2147 (2006c). The Town of Unity is located in west-central Saskatchewan 70 km southwest of North Battleford. Settlement in the area commenced in 1904 and the

Article

Upper Canada

Upper Canada was the predecessor of modern-day Ontario. It was created in 1791 by the division of the old Province of Quebec into Lower Canada in the east and Upper Canada in the west. Upper Canada was a wilderness society settled largely by Loyalists and land-hungry farmers moving north from the United States. Upper Canada endured the War of 1812 with America, William Lyon Mackenzie’s Rebellion of 1837, the colonial rule of the Family Compact and half a century of economic and political growing pains. With the Act of Union in 1841, it was renamed Canada West and merged with Lower Canada (Canada East) into the Province of Canada.

Article

Upper Fort Garry

Upper Fort Garry, situated at the forks of the Red and Assiniboine rivers in the heart of the Red River Colony, was a Hudson's Bay Company post established in 1822. Previous fur-trade posts had been located periodically in the area.

Article

Upper Island Cove

Upper Island Cove, NL, incorporated as a town in 1965, population 1594 (2011c), 1667 (2006c). The Town of Upper Island Cove was created when two communities (Upper Island Cove and Spoon Cove) amalgamated. The town is located north of SPANIARD'S BAY on the northwest side of CONCEPTION BAY.

Article

Urban Transportation

Horse-drawn trams were a vast improvement, but they were far from ideal transportation. Heavy loads could not be hauled, and horses were expensive and required frequent rest periods; they also polluted the streets.

Article

Uummannarjuaq (Blacklead Island)

 Uummannarjuaq, which means "like a big sea mammal's heart," had long been an Inuit seasonal campsite. The island attracted whalers because of its strategic location close to the floe edge--the boundary between shore ice and open water where the spring whale hunt took place.

Article

Uxbridge

Uxbridge, Ontario, incorporated as a township in 1974, population 21,176 (2016 census), 20,623 (2011 census). The township of Uxbridge is located 68 km northeast of Toronto on Highway 47. The town of Uxbridge was amalgamated in 1974 with the townships of Scott and Uxbridge to form a new township in the Regional Municipality of Durham.

Article

Val-Bélair

The name Bélair stems back to the original seigneury granted to Guillaume Bonhomme in 1682 by Governor Joseph-Antoine Le Febvre de LA BARRE and Intendant Jacques de MEULLES. In a 1733 census the seigneury was designated as "the fief commonly referred to as Bélair or Bonhomme.

Article

Val-d'Or

The town was originally made up of 2 separate municipalities. The first, Bourlamaque, founded in 1934 by the Lamaque Mining Co, was a company town for many years. The other, Val-d'Or, was incorporated as a village in 1935 and a town 2 years later, and began as a bustling gold-rush town.

Article

Val-des-Monts

Val-des-Monts, Qué, Municipality, pop 7842 (2001c), 7231 (1996c), 5551 (1991c), area 435.57 km2, inc 1975 following the legislative amalgamation of the municipalities of Wakefield-Partie-Est, Portland-Ouest and Perkins, is located about 20 km northeast of HULL on the north bank of the OTTAWA RIVER.

Article

Val-des-Sources (Asbestos)

Val-des-Sources (formerly Asbestos), Quebec, incorporated as a village in 1899 and as a town in 1937, population 6,786 (2016 census), 7,096 (2011 census). The town of Val-des-Sources is located in the Eastern Townships region, 53 km north of Sherbrooke and 58 km southeast of Drummondville. Originally called Asbestos, the town was named after the mineral mined there from 1881 to 2011. During that time, Asbestos produced much of the world’s supply of the asbestos mineral, which is now banned in many countries because of its negative health effects. Asbestos was renamed Val-des-Sources in December 2020. Val-des-Sources is located on ancestral Abenaki lands. The land is unceded and is considered Indigenous territory.