Browse "Villages"

Displaying 81-100 of 141 results
Article

Kimmirut

Kimmirut, Nunavut, incorporated as a hamlet in 1982, population 455 (2011c), 411 (2006c). The Hamlet of Kimmirut is located on the south coast of Baffin Island, approximately 120 km southwest of Iqaluit.

Article

Kugaaruk

Kugaaruk, Nunavut, incorporated as a hamlet in 1972, population 771 (2011c), 688 (2006c). The Hamlet of Kugaaruk is located in the northeastern Arctic on the coast within Pelly Bay

Article

Kugluktuk

Kugluktuk, Nunavut, incorporated as a hamlet in 1981, population 1450 (2011c), 1302 (2006c). The Hamlet of Kugluktuk, formerly known as Coppermine, is situated west of the mouth of the COPPERMINE RIVER on the mainland Arctic coast.

Article

La Loche

The NORTH WEST COMPANY had a post at the Portage as early as 1808 and the HUDSON'S BAY COMPANY soon followed suit. Here the Athabasca and Mackenzie River brigades exchanged goods and furs with the La Loche brigade.

Article

Lytton

Lytton, British Columbia, incorporated as a village in 1945, population 249 (2016 census), 228 (2011 census). The village of Lytton is located on the Trans-Canada Highway, 260 km northeast of Vancouver, at the junction of the Thompson and Fraser rivers. This is one of the driest and warmest spots in Canada.

Article

Manning

Manning, Alta, incorporated as a village in 1951 and as a town in 1957, population 1164 (2011c), 1493 (2006c). The Town of Manning lies beside the Notikewin River, 73 km north of the town of PEACE RIVER.

Article

Marshall

Marshall, Sask, incorporated as a village in 1914 and as a town in 2006, population 533 (2011c), 608 (2006c). The Town of Marshall is located on the Canadian National Railway line and the Yellowhead Highway between LLOYDMINSTER and NORTH BATTLEFORD, in the Rural Municipality of WILTON.

Article

Masset

Masset, BC, incorporated as a village in 1961, population 884 (2011c), 940 (2006c). The Village of Masset is located on the northern tip of Graham Island, the largest of HAIDA GWAII off the northern coast of British Columbia.

Article

Mayo

In 1919 the discovery of silver-lead deposits at KENO HILL transformed Mayo into a major transshipment point for ore. In 1950 a road was built to the Klondike Highway, but as the riverboats went out of service, Mayo declined.

Article

McAdam

McAdam, NB, incorporated as a village in1966, population 1284 (2011c), 1404 (2006c). The Village of McAdam is located in York County, in the Appalachian Highlands region of southwestern New Brunswick, 10 km from the Canada/US border.

Article

Merrickville-Wolford

Merrickville-Wolford, Ont, incorporated as a village in 1998, population 2850 (2011c), 2867 (2006c). The Village of Merrickville-Wolford is located on the Rideau River, 55 km southwest of Ottawa.

Article

Minto

Minto, NB, incorporated as a village in1962, population 2505 (2011c), 2681 (2006c). It is located 56 km north of Fredericton in the Minto coalfields.

Article

Montrose

Montrose, BC, incorporated as a village in 1956, population 1030 (2011c), 1012 (2006c). The Village of Montrose is located in the West Kootenay district of southeastern British Columbia.

Article

Nakusp

Nakusp, BC, incorporated as a village in 1964, population 1569 (2011c), 1524 (2006c). The Village of Nakusp is located on the east shore of Upper Arrow Lake at the foot of the SELKIRK MOUNTAINS in the West Kootenay district of south-eastern British Columbia.

Article

Neguac

Neguac, NB, incorporated as a village in 1967, population 1678 (2011c), 1623 (2006c). The Village of Neguac is located in northeast New Brunswick near the head of Miramichi Bay, 41 km northeast of Miramichi.

Article

New Denver

New Denver, BC, incorporated as a village in 1929, population 504 (2011c), 512 (2006c). The Village of New Denver is located near the northeastern end of Slocan Lake, 100 km north of NELSON. Eli Carpenter, discoverer of Slocan Lake, wintered there in 1891.

Article

New Maryland

New Maryland includes a number of historic buildings, including the Anglican church and Victoria Hall. It was the site of the last fatal duel in the province in 1821.

Article

Notre Dame de Lourdes

Notre Dame de Lourdes, Manitoba, incorporated as a village in 1963, population 683 (2011c), 589 (2006c). The Village of Notre Dame de Lourdes is situated on the northeast slope of the Pembina Hills, 130 km southwest of WINNIPEG.

Article

Petit Rocher

Petit Rocher, NB, incorporated as a village in 1966, population 1908 (2011c), 1949 (2006c). The Village of Petit Rocher is located on Chaleur Bay near BATHURST.

Article

Pouce Coupe

Pouce Coupe, British Columbia, incorporated as a village in 1932, population 792 (2016 census), 738 (2011 census). The village of Pouce Coupe is located 6 km southeast of Dawson Creek on the highway and freight railway between there and Grande Prairie, Alberta. Its name likely comes from that of a Dane-zaa chief, Pooscapee, which early voyageurs rendered into the French name Pouce Coupé (Cut Thumb).